Employment and Labor
Our employment and labor law practice focuses on advising employers and
litigating cases in both state and federal court as well as before administrative
agencies. Our employment and labor law clients encompass the public and
private sectors and include employers and business executives in the technology,
manufacturing, healthcare, financial, hospitality, retail, building, transportation
and professional services industries. We are noted for the depth of our
experience in litigating a full range of employment law matters including:
- Wrongful termination
- Whistle blower
- Wage/hour compliance
- Employment agreement disputes
- Trade secret protection matters
- Invasion of privacy
- Civil rights
Our counseling and advisory matters include:
- Litigation avoidance strategies
- Policies and procedures
- Employment manuals
- Employee training
- Work place investigations
- Employment and separation agreements
- Protection of employer proprietary information
- Facility closings and reductions in force
- Employment law aspects of business transactions
- Defended a national healthcare provider against claims brought by
a former employee arising out of her termination after she allegedly
complained of and testified about numerous health and safety violations.
The claims included wrongful termination in violation of public policy
(whistle blowing), breach of implied employment contract, violations
of multiple labor laws and defamation. Obtained a defense verdict in
favor of client after a six-week jury trial in state court.
- Retained to provide sexual harassment and discrimination prevention
training, start-up personnel policies and procedures, employee manuals,
job descriptions, human resources training, audits, workplace investigations
and employment advisement to private businesses.
- Represented non-profit corporation and its board chairman and executive
director against claims for breach of employment agreement, discrimination,
retaliation, termination for political activity and wage and hour violations.
Obtained favorable settlement before trial.